Spicy Asparagus and Parsnip Soup
1/2 C Butter
1 White Onion, diced
1 Bunch Asparagus
2-3 Parsnips, diced
2 Jalapeños, seeded
1/2 C Chopped Cilantro
¼ C Marsala
3 C Chicken Stock
Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 C Heavy Cream
½ t Red Pepper Flakes
1. Remove top 1/3 of Asparagus heads and set aside.
2. Dice Onions, Parsnips, Asparagus Stems and Jalapeños.
3. In stock pot over medium-high heat, melt Butter. Add Onions and sweat them without allowing Butter to brown.
4. Add diced Parsnips, Asparagus and Jalapenos to pot and coat with
Butter for 2 minutes.
5. Add Cilantro & Marsala, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Add Chicken Stock, season with Salt & Pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until Parsnips are soft.
7. Allow soup to cool, then puree.
8. Add Heavy Cream and whisk to blend.
9. In a steamer, steam Asparagus tips until slightly tender, but still firm. Set aside.
10. Return soup to pot to warm over medium heat, being careful not to allow it to boil. Serve in warm bowls and garnish with toasted garlic bread wafer, Asparagus tips and Shaved Parmesan.