It was Meatless Monday in the #uglykitchen, and we mixed in a little Fried Cauliflower, Korean style, adding a little spicy-sweet-funky kick with Gochujang red chile paste! Enjoy!
Catch the replay of the Facebook Live! here:
Korean Fried Cauliflower
1 Head Cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
Oil for frying
½ C Cornstarch
½ C All-purpose Flour
½ t Baking Powder
1t Kosher Salt
½ C Ice Water
½ C Sake
1 t Sesame Oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 T fresh Ginger, grated
2 T Honey
2 T Rice Wine Vinegar
¼ C Ponzu or Soy Sauce
1 t Gochujang
¼ C+2 t Water
2 t Cornstarch
1 T Sesame Seeds
2 Green Scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat Sesame Oil. Add Garlic & Ginger and cook for about 1 minute until Garlic begins to brown.
2. Whisk in Honey, Vinegar, Ponzu, Gochujang & ¼ C Water until blended completely.
3. In small mixing bowl whisk together 2 t Water & Cornstarch until mixed thoroughly and mixture is smooth.
4. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce, whisking constantly until blended. Reduce heat and continue to simmer while Cauliflower is cooking, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine Cornstarch, Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Ice Water & Sake; whisk until smooth. Batter should be thin with the consistency of paint. Add equal parts Flour & Cornstarch with corresponding amount of Baking Powder to thicken or Ice Water to thin.
2. Heat oil in fryer or deep skillet to 365°. Toss a handful of Cauliflower florets in batter; shake off excess, then slowly add Cauliflower to oil. Cook about 3-5 minutes until golden brown and batter is crispy. Remove to a wire rack atop a parchment paper lined sheet pan to drain.
3. Add cooked Cauliflower to serving tray and gently drizzle Sauce over it, coating thoroughly.
Sprinkle with Scallions and Sesame Seeds and serve with a side of sauce for dipping.